[ESIP-all] Structure and Deformation at Plate Boundaries, a GeoPRISMS Workshop - Apply Now!

D. Sarah Stamps dstamps at vt.edu
Tue Sep 7 15:49:16 EDT 2021

Apply by October 1 to attend “Structure and Deformation at Plate Boundaries”, a GeoPRISMS funded synthesis workshop.
March 16 - 18, 2022; Honolulu, HI* and Virtual
Meeting Website: https://sites.google.com/hawaii.edu/strucdefworkshop2022 <https://sites.google.com/hawaii.edu/strucdefworkshop2022>
Apply Here <https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeR-_ObfRA0J7BpxIBt1I5oqWEFBjfi9pFTQi2xverEbKoO5A/viewform>.
Workshop email: structure-deformation at googlegroups.com

Dear colleagues,

We welcome you to apply to attend “Structure and Deformation and Plate Boundaries”, a workshop focused on understanding the relationship between structure and deformation at rifts and subduction zones. We aim to connect scientists from a variety of research disciplines, including geology, geodynamic modeling, geochemistry, geomorphology, geodesy, magnetotellurics, seismology, and more. We will provide a forum for interdisciplinary discussion that cross-cuts GeoPRISMS focus sites. Specific topics of interest include the role of crustal and mantle rheology in influencing or recording deformation, fault zone rheology and slip behavior, and relationships between tectonic deformation and surface processes. The format of the workshop will include keynote talks, lightning talks, posters, and discussion sessions on March 17 and 18, preceded by a half day early-career forum on March 16.

Key goals include:
Showcasing recent GeoPRISMS research that has advanced our understanding of plate boundary structure and deformation.
Facilitating the formation of new, interdisciplinary collaborations, particularly for early career scientists.
Promoting best practices for the archiving of data and educational materials.

We strongly encourage applications from students, postdocs, and early career scientists.

Apply by October 1, 2021 for full consideration, and to indicate your preferences/needs for an in-person, or virtual meeting style. If interest exceeds capacity, career stage, research interest, inclusivity, and order of application submission may be used to select participants. Application results, and more information regarding logistics and the workshop agenda will be provided in December 2021.

Funding
Thanks to funding from the NSF GeoPRISMS program, there is no registration fee, and domestic travel and lodging support may be available (prioritized for students, early career scientists, and underrepresented groups in the geosciences).

* COVID-19 Precautions
The safety of participants and our local community is paramount, and we will utilize COVID-19-related public health guidelines in finalizing the workshop format. We may move to a fully virtual format if necessary.

Organizing Committee
Helen Janiszewski (University of Ηawaiʻi at Mānoa)
Hiroko Kitajima (Texas A&M University)
D. Sarah Stamps (Virginia Tech)
Cailey Condit (University of Washington)

____________________
D. Sarah Stamps, PhD
She/Her
Associate Professor
Geodesy and Tectonophysics Laboratory
dstamps at vt.edu
www.geodesy.geos.vt.edu

Virginia Tech
Department of Geosciences
926 West Campus Drive (MC0420)
4044 Derring Hall
Blacksburg, VA 24061  USA
(540) 231-3651

Due to my own family/work balance, you may get email from me outside of normal working hours. Please do not feel any pressure to respond outside of your own working pattern.