[ESIP-AQ] Goals and Plans for Santa Barbara Summer Mtg

McCabe.David at epamail.epa.gov McCabe.David at epamail.epa.gov
Tue Mar 10 18:51:15 EDT 2009

Hello ESIP AQ,

On the last two ESIP-AQ Telecons we've discussed emphasizing this year's
ESIP summer meeting for the Air Quality Community.  A lot of work is
underway to improve AQ data access, make connections between AQ data
systems, build GEOSS, and assess the landscape and figure out, in the
big picture, how to do things better.

To be more concrete, this is motivated by the need to brief the
community on developments in AIP-2, to consider progress since EPA's
Data Summit a year ago, and to review numerous other developments (new
tools, new connections, discontinued systems) in the air quality data
world.

EPA (particularly OAQPS - and me!) is enthusiastic about this idea, as
are many of us in the ESIP AQ cluster.  The timing is right, and this is
the right type of meeting for such a discussion.  Plus, we (hopefully)
have some money to support some travel.

In order to get the critical mass of participation we need at this
meeting, we need to flesh out this concept a bit.  I've put up a
bare-bones page on the ESIP wiki to get things started.  So far, it only
lists broad goals.  Please take a look and help develop these plans!

http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Air_Quality_Community_Summer_2009_Meeting

Thanks, David

David McCabe, PhD
AAAS Science & Technology Policy Fellow
US EPA, Office of Research and Development (8104R)
1200 Pennsylvania Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20460
202 564 0016