[Esip-citationguidelines] Contribution vs Credit vs Authorship for software – Daniel S. Katz's blog

Parsons, Mark parsom3 at rpi.edu
Wed Jan 23 20:03:50 EST 2019

Thoughts on credit from our friend Dan Katz.
https://danielskatzblog.wordpress.com/2019/01/23/contribution-vs-credit-vs-authorship-for-software/

I like how he works to separate the different levels of credit and more importantly:

"In the longer term, we need to stop using the term author as the means of recognizing all significant contributions, and possibly go to a movie-like system where we name contributors and explain their contributions, and where author would be one of many types of contribution.”

Something for us to consider.

cheers,

-m.