[Esip-citationguidelines] DOIs for data at multiple repositories

Matthew Mayernik mayernik at ucar.edu
Tue Jan 29 13:59:35 EST 2019

Hi Jessica,
Our approach at NCAR is that if we host it, we should provide a PID +
citation to our copy. This is mainly intended to meet the provenance use
case, e.g. to know where the data came from.

In the ideal situation, DOIs for the same dataset sitting in two different
repositories would be linked in some way. It could be via a "relatedItem"
in the DOI metadata. I don't know if this happens much though.

Best,
Matt