[Esip-citationguidelines] meeting today

Mark Parsons chutneyboy at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 08:09:35 EDT 2019

Hi all,

The plan for today is to continue to review the matrix of citation concerns and research objects <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VEYPLgTsCR_zbMUbThonBrqaYqBiMT4e525NzFi7ql8/edit?usp=sharing>. I think this is our last attempt to see if this approach really makes any sense or is helpful.

Meanwhile, I’ve been thinking more and more that we need to completely separate access and credit. The only place they really bundle well together in a citation is for papers.

Access is objective. Credit is subjective. Access is neat. Credit is fuzzy. Access must be explicit and precise.
Credit must have enough options or information for a human to make a choice. Credit in what context? academic citation or other professional credit situations—CV, job advancement, recognition and social capital, professional accountability? Whatever it usually requires human assessment of its value.  We could start characterizing these contexts, but I don’t think it would help. The best we can do is provide the info and context and let the user figure it out. But what info?

Anyway, talk at Noon Eastern:

https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/429077789
You can also dial in using your phone.
United States: +1 (646) 749-3112