[Esip-cloud] Recap for ESIP Cloud Computing Cluster's telecon on Oct. 24

Huang, Thomas (398G) Thomas.Huang at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Oct 28 13:52:30 EDT 2016

Hi all,

Summarizing what we discussed on Monday, I suggest we have back-to-back sessions on Architecting for the Cloud.  The first session we invite architects to come share their recommendations and Best Practices.  The second session we invite organizations/missions/projects to discuss Cost Analysis.  Below are my draft session proposals.  I appreciate your inputs and recommendations.  I plan to submit our sessions to ESIP later today.

Architecting for the Cloud: Best Practices
Architecting for the Cloud is a non-trivial effort.  It is a multi-faceted process. This session invites Cloud architects to come share their experiences and best practices for adapting Cloud solutions in their organizations.  Some of the potential areas of interests

  *   Public, Private, Hybrid Cloud Strategies
  *   Vendor Evaluation and Selection
  *   Data Movement and Storage Strategies
  *   Availability and Redundancy
  *   Portability vs Proprietary Solutions
  *   Evolution (incremental) vs Revolution (redesign)
  *   Security

Architecting for the Cloud: Cost Analysis
Commercial and Private clouds have been around for over a decade.  Cost is still the key factor inhibiting cloud adoption.  While countless studies have been published over the years, estimating the Total Cost of Ownership is still a domain-specific effort. This session invites presentations focusing on cost analysis conducted by organizations, missions, and projects.  Some of the potential areas of interests

  *   Instances Types Selection
  *   Speed vs Cost
  *   Long-term Storage and Availability
  *   Cost Saving in Proprietary Solution
  *   Tools and/or Process to estimate Total Cost of Ownership

thanks

Thomas.

--
Thomas Huang
Jet Propulsion Laboratory

DISCLAIMER: All personal and professional opinions presented herein are my own and do not, in any way, represent the opinion or policy of JPL, NASA or Caltech.