[Esip-cloud] Notes from 2017-03-27 ESIP Cloud Computing Telecon

Huang, Thomas (398G) Thomas.Huang at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Mar 27 15:24:07 EDT 2017

2017-03-27 ESIP Cloud Computing Telecon @1:00pm EST

Thanks Ryan Crumley, our student fellow, for the meeting minutes.  Here is a summary on what we discussed

We proposed 3 workshops for the Summer ESIP meeting

·         Introduction to NEXUS (Beginner)

NEXUS is an emerging open source technology that enables horizontal processing of geospatial, array-based data for cluster and cloud environments. This workshop provides an introduction to NEXUS and hands-on exercises using Jupyter notebook to interact with NEXUS.
·         Cloud Computing and NEXUS (Intermediate)

Participants should have completed the 'Introduction to NEXUS' workshop or have general understanding of NEXUS and Cloud Computing technologies. This workshop focuses deploying NEXUS on the Amazon cloud environment using AMI and ingesting data into the NEXUS platform for analysis.
·         Advanced NEXUS Analytics (Advanced)

Participants should have completed the 'Cloud Computing and NEXUS' workshop or have working knowledge with cluster and Cloud environments. This workshop covers manual deployment of NEXUS using Docker and in-depth discussion of NEXUS architecture and ways to extend NEXUS for domain-specific analytics.

We plan to propose 2-3 Cloud Sessions for the Summer meeting, perhaps a Cloud Day.  Some of the possible topics

·         Cloud Onboarding – This session focuses on migrating existing technologies and services to the cloud, and new projects designed to fully leverage the cloud environment.  We are looking for lessons learned, software and architectural approaches (e.g. 12-factor), and cost saving strategies.  In addition to oral presentations, we encourage poster and demos at during the ESIP poster session. Currently we have the following possible presenters
o    Dave Smith/EPA on EPA data science
o    Hook Hua/JPL on OCO-2 and TES
o    ESDIS
o    DAACs

·         Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) and Technologies for the Cloud – There are many freely available software and technologies that can improve DevOps for the Cloud.  We invite presentations on the applications and lesson-learned on these solutions.  We are looking for presentations on container technology, orchestration and automation, container and virtual machine management, data analytic, machine learning, data management, etc.  Possible presentations
o    Nga Quach/JPL - Docker
o    Joe Jacob/JPL – Apache Spark

·         Architecting for the Amazon ecosystem – While Amazon is not the only public cloud provider, it is certainly the major cloud provider that many organizations are reviewing.  This session provides a deep dive into leveraging the Amazon ecosystem to simplify our cloud architecture, and to reduce time and cost.  Possible presenters
o    ESDIS
o    JPL

·         Cloud Panel – A panel consists of representatives from different agencies, projects, missions, and programs.  Panelists will share their current cloud-related activities, strategies, and plans.  Open discussion with our distinguished panelists.  Currently we have
o    Jeff de La Beaujardiere/NOAA to discuss a document from NOAA that focuses on cloud recommendations, architecting, cost reduction, etc.
o    EPA
o    ESDIS
o    JPL

We would like to submit our session in 2 weeks.  We appreciate your feedbacks and recommendations.

--
Thomas Huang
Jet Propulsion Laboratory

DISCLAIMER: All personal and professional opinions presented herein are my own and do not, in any way, represent the opinion or policy of JPL, NASA or Caltech.