[Esip-cloud] ESIP Cloud Cluster telecon today

Huang, Thomas (398G) Thomas.Huang at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Feb 26 14:30:50 EST 2018

Hi

Thanks for joining our monthly telecon today.  Here are a few quick notes

  1.  There are already several Jupyter-related workshops being considered including HDF Group and the current ESIPHub.  The Cloud Computing Cluster is also planning to organize a data analytics on the cloud workshop using Jupyter.
  2.  Sean Gordon is currently leading an ESIPHub effort on Jupyter.  Here is the link to his current proposal work: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Xqi5XAuQ56-8xqBh7Bic4i_ZUPbCA5-g4bg4Un4A1-8/edit?usp=sharing
  3.  Sean and Thomas will ping Tyler Erickson on summer Jupyter workshop and having a webinar before the workshop
  4.  We are looking into possible JupyterHub hosting environment for our community.  Due to security and copyright restrictions from government organizations, we are looking at ESIP or Universities to provide this service.  One major concern is security and abuse detection.  Several folks suggested that we should look at  Open Commons Consortium (occ-data.org) and Google Colaboratory first.
  5.  Each organization have different requirements and expectations for Jupyter.  We would like to start collecting requirements  from NASA, EPA, NOAA, etc.  JPL team will start working on collecting NASA Jupyter requirements.  Dave Smith, of EPA, has started a pilot project on using Jupyter as the wizard solution to select and deploy on AWS.  He will also be providing some of their current expectations.
  6.  Monthly webinars.  We would like to schedule webinars during our monthly call.  Phil and I are collecting names and will start sending out invitations.  Dave Smith has agreed to provide demo of his current pilot project in the near future.

Thanks

Thomas.

--
Thomas Huang
Jet Propulsion Laboratory

DISCLAIMER: All personal and professional opinions presented herein are my own and do not, in any way, represent the opinion or policy of JPL, NASA or Caltech.