[Esip-communityresilience] Next meeting on Wednesday, Feb 20 at 4PM ET

Arika Virapongse av at middlepatheco.com
Fri Feb 15 16:20:06 EST 2019

Hello all!

I hope that you can join us for the next ESIP Community Resilience cluster
call next Wednesday (Feb 20) at 4PM ET. Meeting link:
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/421749253
<https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/421749253>

Agenda:
* Reflections/comments about the Community Resilience session at the ESIP
winter meeting
* Next steps for the cluster:
> * What is our cluster project(s)?
> * What do we want to do with our monthly calls (e.g., webinar series?)
> * Thoughts about a session for the ESIP summer meeting

There is also a volunteer opportunity from the Thriving Earth Exchange for a
data scientist:

Northeast Houston, TX

https://thrivingearthexchange.org/project/northeast-houston-tx/
<https://thrivingearthexchange.org/project/northeast-houston-tx/>

The Texas Organizing Project (TOP) works on various campaigns, including
education improvement, criminal justice, housing, and environmental issues.
Hurricane Harvey was a ³different kind of storm² for the city and left low-
and moderate-income African American and Latino communities without adequate
resources or opportunities. These communities of color disproportionately
live in areas with outdated infrastructure and drainage. TOP is working with
a Dr. Edith Wilson, a geologist and mapping expert, to create a few
compelling maps using various data sources in NE Houston (e.g. locations of
buy-outs, status of drainage infrastructure, etc.). Edith is potentially
interested in using ArcGIS Collector with the community members but is
unsure how to guarantee that data will be owned and managed by the
community. She¹d like to have a broader discussion about mapping platforms
and data sharing.

Contact: NUdu-gama at agu.org <mailto:NUdu-gama at agu.org>  or swilkins at agu.org
<mailto:swilkins at agu.org>

Best,

Arika

Arika Virapongse, Ph.D.
Principal Scientist, Middle Path EcoSolutions
Research Scholar, The Ronin Institute
www.MiddlePathEco.com