[Esip-dds] A data life cycle model

Ramdeen, Sarah ramdeen at email.unc.edu
Thu Feb 28 12:46:44 EST 2013

Hello Everyone,

I am a bit behind in my emails but I wanted to add some comments about the lifecycle model.  Echoing Erin's comment,  I have always preferred the DCC mode (http://www.dcc.ac.uk/resources/curation-lifecycle-model) because of the different loops represented in the diagram, but I think that is merely because it is an easy to understand visual and not because it is a better model!  That said, there are a few things I think the proposed model is missing.  These are just suggestions of course - things I thought about after a first pass of looking at the current model.

1) In the data life cycle model section there is not a step for appraisal or collection development.  This is implied with collect I guess but there are usually some decisions made about what should be part of a collection and not everything collected is kept.  This is different than deciding that something is no longer of value - but that assessment once something is donated or initially collected to determine if it belongs as a permanent part of the collection.

2) In this same section it does not implicitly discuss access and use either.  Again, probably implied with discover, but I think that being able to discover is slightly different than being able to gain access/permissions or properly use the materials as well.

3) In the middle section - planning and production is separate from preservation.  Preservation is put in the data management section.  I think that preservation is an ongoing task but should also be planned for in advance and implied that it is considered before materials are pulled in to the collection.

4) Perspectives - This list of stakeholders is missing educational benefits (both scientific education and general public).  Not sure where they would fall on the current list.

Thanks,
Sarah