[Esip-dds] Time to vote! Poll closes Thursday

Christopher Lenhardt clenhardt at renci.org
Tue May 14 09:00:24 EDT 2013

All:

In the spirit of influencing votes, I'd like to reiterate that at this
stage I would argue we need to make sure we are thinking at the right
level.

I would suggest that for the summer meeting panel we should be trying to
focus on creating an outcome that will reveal the scope of the problem,
the types of challenges ahead. I think we are still tending to get down
into the weeds like talking data preservation, life cycle and things like
that.  Sure those are important.

Instead, what I think we need to get a better picture on in order to frame
a data study is to identify what are the big trends likely to affect
things like data preservation.  In this instance I would point to things
like unstructured versus structured data, the increasing ubiquitousness of
sensors, citizen science, the use of UAVs and drones to collect data,
integration of data across scales from nano to continental and beyond, the
failure of information science and informatics writ large to support
decision-making, the impact of open science on data, open publishing etc.
What are the implications of connected world where our phones, computers,
cars, etc. are all communicating and sending data. Maybe a stretch in the
earth science context, but not so much if you start thinking about
environmental health issues. These are the major trends I see in play
right now that will have huge impacts on how science is conducted and by
extension on the data challenges in the very near future.  For example, in
a world of unstructured data, it's not inconceivable that we might not be
arguing over metadata standards like ISO 19115, instead we'll be arguing
over how to encode metadata in unstructured data; a related but different
question.

ESIP can help to shine the light on these trends and begin to discuss the
implications of these trends for what ESIP members and beyond should be
preparing to do in the not too distant future.  So I would suggest that
the panel we put together at this stage be designed to highlight these
kinds of issues.

I would suggest speakers, if we can get them, like Michael Tieman, Stephen
Friend, John Wilbanks (again), Stan Ahalt. We need a set of data TED talks
for the panel, I think.

Thus I would see the following scenario, I think I pitched this before.

1. Summer meeting panel to set the high level context for a data study.
2. One suggested outcome from the summer meeting would be to create a
framework to have a short workshop in the future, late summer, early fall
to actually go into much more depth on what the study might look like and
who should be involved; a short white paper perhaps. The workshop could be
hosted by the Academy, cosponsored by ESIP?
3. Present workshop results to wider community, e.g. program manager types
and broad agency at winter meeting.

OK, my .02.

	--Chris

W. Christopher Lenhardt
Domain Scientist, Environmental Data Sciences and Systems
RENCI
100 Europa Drive, Suite 540
Chapel Hill, NC 27517-7583
Office: 919-445-0480