[Esip-disasters] Disaster Cluster Telecon Tuesday May 20 - ESIP Disasters information architecture proposal

Moe, Karen (GSFC-4070) via Esip-disasters esip-disasters at lists.esipfed.org
Mon May 19 17:04:05 EDT 2014

Greetings,

We are back to our regular schedule of meeting on the 3rd Tuesdays at 1:00pm EDT/10:00 am PDT. Please see the ESIP wiki for the Webex information to join the discussion. As we are rapidly approaching the summer meeting, I hope that we can converge on an agenda that will help us scope our future activities as well.

http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/DisasterResponse_telecon_2014-05-20

Agenda: Suggested topic for Disasters Cluster summer session

Based on the joint session last month with WGISS, we have a proposal to address a  "disasters & risk management (DRM) information architecture" as the theme for the summer meeting. The WGISS community would be interested in the results.

An information architecture will address the type of info that needs to be shared between data providers and DRM users. It seems likely the architecture will be hierarchical with some common elements driven by the emergency management and risk assessment communities (among others), as well as aspects of satellite data that we may be able to mimic from the Weather communities usage patterns. The architecture would have to accommodate end nodes for specific science implications driven by specific domains. This would allow analysis on multiple aspects of the information architecture, depending on people's expertise.

FYI our google docs spreadsheets:  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Av2czh6FTo34dEdDWEtZZkxRZVFGNDJXNFlqS1RqWXc#gid=0

Here's a link to the April meeting presentations: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gih6dmxzm7k7x6w/PSr7IRLwW0

And video demonstrating user interactions with satellite data: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gih6dmxzm7k7x6w/PSr7IRLwW0

The NOAA NCDC Development Guidelines for the Climate Data Record (CDR) program:
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cdr/guidelines.html
Included are NetCDF Metadata guidelines: http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/sds/cdr/Guidelines/NetCDF_Metadata_Guidelines.pdf

Another potential resource is the Global Change Master Directory (GCMD):
http://gcmd.nasa.gov/KeywordSearch/Home.do?Portal=GCMD&MetadataType=0

Finally the ICSU report on "Peril Classification and Hazard Glossary":
http://www.irdrinternational.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/IRDR_DATA-Project-Report-No.-1.pdf

Thanks,
Karen and Emily

Karen L. Moe
Earth Science Technology Office esto.nasa.gov
NASA/GSFC MS Code 407  Mobile: (240) 393-8730
Greenbelt, MD  20771   Office: (301) 286-2978
email: Karen.Moe at nasa.gov<applewebdata://E1FFDA6F-C5B3-45AC-A2A7-B1CDCCB399C7/Karen.Moe@nasa.gov> Fax: (301) 286-0321