[Esip-disasters] ESIP Disasters Cluster telecom Thursday 4/5/2018 - 4:00pm ET

Moe, Karen (GSFC-407.0)[EMERITUS] karen.moe at nasa.gov
Fri Mar 30 22:43:58 EDT 2018

Please join us for the ESIP Disasters Lifecycle Cluster March Telecon this Thursday, April 5 at 4 pm Eastern/ 1 pm Pacific.

Topics include:
* Recent event reports
* All Hazards Consortium – Operational Readiness Levels (ORL) Webinar and April 24 3DM Workshop (Dave Jones, Karen Moe)
* OGC Emergency Management DWG  (Don Sullivan)

* ESIP Summer Meeting – July 17-20, 2018, Tucson, AZ…ESIP 20th Anniversary (All)
* Theme: Data for our Changing Earth – Realizing the Socioeconomic Value of Earth Science Data
ESIP goals in the 2015 – 2020 ESIP Strategic Plan<http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/2015-2020_Strategic_Plan> and the 2018 theme will be woven into meeting sessions, collaboration-area activities and community outreach, with the goal of improving dialog between Earth sciences data producers, distributors and end-users.
* Disasters Cluster Session(s) due 4/9
* Invited speakers travel funding requests due 4/30
* Build on Trusted Data & ORL concept development and implementation with broad Emergency Management community
* Provide annual Cluster updates for ESIP Collaboration Slide Folder due 6/30. See https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Lc6p9VuViLUdIo83qmHl73wbpMsCImP3ng08WUpfNd4/edit?usp=sharing

* AGU Fall Meeting – 100th Anniversary this Dec 2018 in DC.
* Submit a session Proposals due 4/18. Or seek a relevant session later this summer?
* Possible topics – Disasters Data Driven Decision Making? Trusted Data/ORLs? Relating ORLs to FORCE11 FAIR data practices? Disasters response system testbeds? Mechanisms for vetting Trusted Data
* Consider a paper or poster submission to AGU Natural Hazards or ESSI? Abstracts due this summer (all)
* Or new eLightning talks, see https://fallmeeting.agu.org/2018/session-proposals/alternate-session-formats/

* Other Disasters management topics for our cluster to address in 2018?

Please help us capture notes on our google docs page:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IfFKkRf3pzJp2I7OpCHGcpLjrh7fJ3Q7xSuAOC-K2g8/edit?usp=sharing

Join by dialing-in or use GoToMeeting:

https://www.gotomeeting.com/join/691265765

United States: +1 (872) 240-3311
Access Code: 691-265-765

Reference notes for agenda topics…

2017 ESIP Winter meeting session on Trusted Data listed below. Discuss ideas for 2018 session proposal.

Operational Readiness Levels: Measuring the Benefit of Trusted Data for End Users

The Disasters Lifecycle cluster is advancing concepts for trusted data for the disasters management community from an end user perspective as contrasted with the science user viewpoint. Work is proceeding on defining Operational Readiness Levels (ORLs) for our ESIP partnership with the All Hazards Consortium. We see ORL assessments as a critical step in bridging the gap between earth science data providers and specific application users. In this session we will explore ways to provide appropriate linkages to existing earth observation repositories with the goal of identifying and tagging metadata with special purpose information such as ORLs.

ESIP Summer Meeting – Visioneers on the 20th anniversary and summer meeting. If you have ideas on how you'd like to celebrate please join us or add comments to the google doc agenda: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JuyT2s2TJ3Swg9nuMTWCaXeQKhF5tBCeeqciPOn7-Os/edit#

We will be using the collaboration poster show from the Summer meeting at the Winter meeting... HERE is a heads up on new rules/guidelines for updating your slides (NOTE: NOT posters) for NEXT Summer. Please take a look: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Lc6p9VuViLUdIo83qmHl73wbpMsCImP3ng08WUpfNd4/edit?usp=sharing

The Enabling FAIR Data project shepherded by the American Geophysical Union’s (AGU) Data Department, the Research Data Alliance (RDA) and the ESIP Federation’s Data Management Training (DMT) Working Group are planning unique crowdsourcing opportunities for researchers and the research data community to learn more about the kinds of educational resources that are currently available to teach and  learn about research data management skills, methods, and practices.  The first event is scheduled for Thursday, February 22nd from 9 am – 10:15 am PDT / 12 noon – 1:15 pm EDT using ESIP’s GoTo Meeting / Webinar platform.  Call-in details can be found on the ESIP Telecon website at:  http://www.esipfed.org/telecons under the “DMTC Crowdsourcing #1” entry.  We’ll be looking for educational resources to add to the DMT Clearinghouse that help enable researchers make their data FAIR (Findable - Accessible – Interoperable – Reusable) per the following seminar article
FORCE11 FAIR Data Principles:  see the following seminar article:  https://www.nature.com/articles/sdata201618

The FAIR Guiding Principles for scientific data management and steward https://www.nature.com/articles/sdata201618