[Esip-disasters] FW: [ESIP-all] Summer Meeting Draft Schedule

Hsu, Leslie lhsu at usgs.gov
Mon May 21 12:28:59 EDT 2018

Hello Karen and Disasters Cluster,

I am a relatively new member of the Disaster Cluster, I just made it to my
first monthly call last month! Because of some current projects that I am
involved in at the USGS, I am really interested in staying up to date and
contributing to your cluster. Our USGS Community for Data Integration
<https://www2.usgs.gov/cdi/> RFP had an emphasis on Risk Assessment and
Hazard Vulnerability this year, you can see the funded project list here
<https://www.sciencebase.gov/catalog/item/5acd1e22e4b0e2c2dd155ddc?community=Community+for+Data+Integration+%28CDI%29>.
We will have representatives from most of the projects at the ESIP session,
and many of them will be interested in your cluster activities at the
summer meeting as well. For example, being aware of other risk and hazard
portals (we've spoken with Bob Downs a bit) and data assets, of which we're
sure there are many, is one of our goals. We've also had some discussions
about applying ORL to different projects, so that topic was very exciting
to see on your list.

Looking forward to meeting many of you this summer.

Leslie

Here's a description of the session, currently scheduled for the 2nd
Tuesday morning slot:

*Supporting integrated and predictive science: Community for Data
Integration focus on risk assessment*

The aspiration of many data organizations that fund seed projects,
including the USGS Community for Data Integration, is to support
integrated, reusable, and sustainable tools and data. This year, the CDI
funded several projects under the theme of risk assessment and hazard
vulnerability, with the goal of coordinating and integrating the outputs.
Project teams will meet during this breakout session, which occurs midway
through the funding period, to report on progress, learn from each other,
and coordinate to optimize their outputs. The selected projects are
improving accessibility to drought modeling, hazards and assets data (for
example, invasive species, landslides, and infrastructure data), and tools
for knowledge extraction, deep neural networks, and data documentation.
Integrating data and resources on hazards and assets improves our ability
to assess strategic risk, predict future hazards impact, and realize the
socioeconomic value of earth science data.

Leslie Hsu
Community for Data Integration (CDI) Coordinator
CDI web <http://www.usgs.gov/cdi/> | blog
<https://my.usgs.gov/confluence/display/cdi/CDI+Blog> | wiki
<https://my.usgs.gov/confluence/display/cdi> | forum
<https://my.usgs.gov/confluence/display/cdi/CDI+Community+Forum>
U.S. Geological Survey, Denver, CO 80225
o: (303) 202-4080, m: (720) 272-8354