[Esip-disasters] 2022 ESIP January Meeting: Pls Check Schedule & Comp 1st-Time Speaker Registration

Karen Moe karen.moe at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 16 14:32:17 EST 2021

Our session has been accepted for Thursday, Jan 20, 2022 at 1:30 pm eastern. Please see the clip below of Day 3. It looks very good so far and we have until 11/22 to comment on any conflicts or changes.

The session proposal abstract is on our google docs page and posted below.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IfFKkRf3pzJp2I7OpCHGcpLjrh7fJ3Q7xSuAOC-K2g8/edit# <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IfFKkRf3pzJp2I7OpCHGcpLjrh7fJ3Q7xSuAOC-K2g8/edit#>

Also this note from Megan about registration.
Best,
Karen

Please remember to register <https://2022esipjanuarymeeting.sched.com/info> and to encourage your session speakers to do so. You may also request 1-2 complimentary speaker registrations for your session for speakers who have never been to an ESIP Meeting. To request complimentary registrations, session leads should complete this brief form <https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfOgVJW3MO3IdWIql5_PFtpn4ciWnsAig2zkcJY0t201Vk8fg/viewform> by 12/15/21. Once reviewed and approved, we will share details on how to register with you and the speaker.

ESIP Winter Meeting Proposed Session Purpose: Examine how to cut across ESIP domains of expertise to put more data to work through improved discovery and collaboration. Build data unification approaches to serve all communities locally, globally and equitably. Identify plain language data discoverability techniques to drive rapid decisions in disasters.

Short Title: ESIP Cross-Domain Collaboration Laboratory -- Let’s Look at Wildfires

Session description:

Global and local challenges are increasing from a rapidly changing climate that is fueling extreme events. As of September 1, 2021, the year-to-date total of weather and climate disaster events with losses exceeding $1 billion each across the U.S. stands at 18 and is four events shy of the 2020 record for the most disasters on record in a calendar year.

While the number of extreme events continues to increase, the impacts on people, communities, supply chains, transportation, communication and utility sectors also continue to grow due to aging critical infrastructure, increased vulnerabilities due to more demand from growing populations, and more people moving into hazard-prone areas that typically lack region-specific preparedness campaigns.

Data availability has also been increasing at logarithmic scales while the ability to discover, trust and use that data has lagged behind the ‘data availability’ growth rates. Non-technical decision makers, who crave trusted data that can be used to drive decision making, cannot find what they need, often due to the complex semantics of hazards and disasters. When they do find a relevant data source, they have to trust it in order to make a decision. Once they have gained trust in the source and used the data in their decision making processes, they are more than happy to provide feedback on the data.

This session will bring together members from the ESIP #DataReadiness, #Discovery, #InformationQuality, #SemanticHarmonization, #CommunityResilience, #Ag&Climate, #Envirosensing and #DisasterLifecycle clusters to engage in some active use case conversations, such as wildfire impacts on communities and the movement of fleet utility vehicles across the nation to restore power. We desire to leverage and grow a way to serve decision makers through lay language data discoverability and use to drive more rapid decisions. This could prove to be extremely valuable as we seek to cut the time between data discovery, trust and decision making.

Session Anticipated Take Away Outcome/Goals: Our goal is to identify a use case to apply ‘search and use’ terminology that can drive trusted dataset access and use within operational environments, while providing ESIP clusters with ideas that could contribute to the Disaster Lifecycle Cluster’s ESIP Ecosystem of Innovation to accelerate research into operations.

*The Disaster Lifecycle Cluster continues to work with the All Hazards Consortium (AHC) to evolve “Operational Readiness Levels” (ORLs) that provide non-technical decision makers with higher confidence levels in data. We will also discuss mapping NASA “Application Readiness Levels” (ARLs) to ORLs to accelerate access to NASA datasets that may be applied in operational environments.