[Esip-discovery] associating datasets with services in casts

Hua, Hook (388C) hook.hua at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Apr 20 17:35:42 EDT 2011

Hi Ken,

I think that's a good point. It's true for approaches (1) and (2). But for (3), it is quite possible to have an OpenSearch service that encompasses a broader ESIP-wide availability of datasets and services.

This is really an issue of information access. In order to be a good match-maker, one would need access to a broader collection of the dataset and service information. Then this would help any inference that we would like to do. From an ESIP perspective, are we now talking about a formal Discovery "registry"? A federated OpenSearch of matched services and datasets could avoid doing registries.

I'm sure there are other approaches as well other than the 3 mentioned here.

--Hook