[Esip-discovery] [esip-semanticweb] metadata ontology

Stephen Richard steve.richard at azgs.az.gov
Fri Jul 29 11:41:44 EDT 2011

Yes, I think it's worth pursuing.  Widely used catalog tools like GeoNetwork
and ESRI Geoportal map metadata elements into an abstract metadata model
(e.g. the 'property-meanings.xml' in Geoportal) , which is currently
internal and not documented (although they use various Dublin core, FGDC,
and ISO concepts). Better metadata interoperability could be achieved if
these abstract models were formalized and shared. I've made a cut at a model
here:
http://lab.usgin.org/groups/metadata-interest-group/genericmetadatamodel

steve

Stephen M. Richard
Arizona Geological Survey
416 W. Congress St., #100
Tucson, Arizona, 85701   USA
phone: 520 209-4127
AZGS Main: (520) 770-3500.  FAX: (520) 770-3505
email: steve.richard at azgs.az.gov

For this