[Esip-discovery] [OWS Context SWG] discussion of link attributes in metadata

Stephen M Richard steve.richard at azgs.az.gov
Tue Dec 13 00:26:12 EST 2011

Pedro—

It’s taken awhile to get back to this! Thanks for your thoughtful reply. To
recap, the conversation has to do with what properties need to be associated
with links (typically http URIs) between resources that are meant to be used
by software with minimal user interaction. Use cases emerge in metadata
documents, atom or rss feeds, OWS context / workspace portability and linked
data contexts.  I compiled approaches to this problem in a variety of
contexts and summarized results in a doc available at
http://lab.usgin.org/groups/metadata-interest-group/actionablelinks.

You suggest that rel and type (MIME type) are sufficient to meet
requirements “to assure a broad usage of the resulting files”. I think use
of rel=search to denote that the link target is an OpenSearch end point is
symptomatic of why the rel attribute is already so overloaded with
non-interoperable usages that a more semantically clear ‘purpose’ attribute
is called for. OpenSearch is certainly not the only possible target of a
link to a search interface (what about CSW, for example?).

I know people are creating MIME types like
“application/opensearchdescription+xml”, but I’d argue that this is
overloading the intention of MIME, and we have a situation similar to the
‘rel’ attribute for the ‘type’ attribute. The semantics are fuzzy and there
are all kinds of interpretations and usages of the property already in use,
making interoperability more difficult. Shouldn’t the MIME type specify the
format of the file that the link will GET? (e.g. XML, maybe XML+atom or GML
or RSS
).

Let’s say you’ve got an app parsing a list of links, needing a CSW that
supports the INSPIRE ISO profile. What’s the rel value (wouldn’t ‘search’
make sense?), does using MIME types like
‘application/xml+csw2.0.2+inspire1.0 scale’?  What about an entry about a
geologic map data set with links for representations as a shapefile, pdf,
tiff, a WMS (lithostratigraphic units, lithology, or stratigraphic age
styles, from different servers), WFS 2.0 (GeoSciML v3 MappedFeature), WFS
1.0 (GeoSciML v2 MappedFeature), WFS (GeoSciML-Portrayal GeologicUnitView),
WFS (NCGMP09 MapUnitPoly)?  One could probably account for all of these
cases with content negotiation and by requiring clients to access and parse
a service description document (e.g. GetCapabilities), but wouldn’t life be
a heck of a lot simpler if there were labeled links with attributes that
allowed the client to know these options directly from the feed, context
doc, or metadata doc?

steve

Stephen M. Richard

Arizona Geological Survey

416 W. Congress St., #100

Tucson, Arizona, 85701   USA

phone: 520 209-4127

AZGS Main: (520) 770-3500.  FAX: (520) 770-3505