[Esip-discovery] [OWS Context SWG] discussion of link attributes in metadata

Lynnes, Christopher S. (GSFC-6102) christopher.s.lynnes at nasa.gov
Tue Dec 13 08:20:48 EST 2011

To followup on Steve's comments and give you a heads-up before our telecon today, I wanted to mention that our latest change proposal (http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Discovery_Change_Proposal-3) actually rolls back the special rel attributes to the standard enclosure/icon/etc., but adds ESIP-specific attributes to the link elements to specify more exactly what kind of enclosure.  Thus, this should be backward compatible with the mass-market tools, but give our applications more information on what kind of enclosure link it is.

The most obvious case where this is necessary is when data providers (like mine) offer data both as an FTP download and through OPeNDAP (coming your way in OGC soon I understand!).  We also offer downloads in netCDF and ASCII through OPeNDAP as well, so that ultimately, we would like to offer 4 "enclosure" links for the same data file.

For example, the following 5 URLs are valid links for a granule:
ftp://acdisc.gsfc.nasa.gov/data/s4pa/Aqua_AIRS_Level3/AIRX3STD.005/2011/AIRS.2011.12.11.L3.RetStd001.v5.2.2.0.G11346145836.hdf
http://acdisc.gsfc.nasa.gov/opendap/Aqua_AIRS_Level3/AIRX3STD.005/2011/AIRS.2011.12.11.L3.RetStd001.v5.2.2.0.G11346145836.hdf
http://acdisc.gsfc.nasa.gov/opendap/Aqua_AIRS_Level3/AIRX3STD.005/2011/AIRS.2011.12.11.L3.RetStd001.v5.2.2.0.G11346145836.hdf.nc
http://acdisc.gsfc.nasa.gov/opendap/Aqua_AIRS_Level3/AIRX3STD.005/2011/AIRS.2011.12.11.L3.RetStd001.v5.2.2.0.G11346145836.hdf.ascii

According to our currently pending DCP-3, this would amount to:

rel       esip:subrel                                esip:serviceProtocol               mime-type
enclosure http://esipfed.org/ns/discovery/1.1/data#  (n/a)                              application/x-hdf
enclosure http://esipfed.org/ns/discovery/1.1/data#  http://xml.opendap.org/ns/DAP/3.3# application/octet-stream
enclosure http://esipfed.org/ns/discovery/1.1/data#  http://xml.opendap.org/ns/DAP/3.3# application/x-netcdf
enclosure http://esipfed.org/ns/discovery/1.1/data#  http://xml.opendap.org/ns/DAP/3.3# text/plain