[Esip-discovery] convention for multiple keywords

Lynnes, Christopher S. (GSFC-6102) christopher.s.lynnes at nasa.gov
Wed Dec 12 09:47:55 EST 2012

Yoshi pointed out to me that not all OpenSearch servers follow the same convention for multiple keywords.  That is, some do a Boolean OR, others a Boolean AND.

We should standardize on one or the other as a default, with the ability to override through an extra keyword.

I suggest that we go with the model Google uses, as the most familiar one in the user community.

This would mean the default behaviour, that is, the one with no boolean keywords in searchTerms, is 'AND'.  Search engines should also support an 'OR' query, in which case the terms will be separated by the keyword 'OR', e.g., "newcastle OR brown OR ale".

Should I mint a new DCP for this, or simply add it to the RFC as the mother of all DCPs?

Any other comments on the proposal?
--
Dr. Christopher Lynnes     NASA/GSFC, Code 610.2    phone: 301-614-5185
"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away" -- A. de Saint-Exupery