[Esip-discovery] time for new challenges?

Mattmann, Chris A (388J) chris.a.mattmann at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Dec 19 11:52:55 EST 2012

I think it's definitely a worthy problem to address, I just know that
it'll be an uphill battle. I teach graduate courses about the origins of
Nutch/Hadoop, and why Doug Cutting and the rest of us felt the need to
develop a purely open source search engine; I teach about the semantic
web, and the original goal of annotating everything with RDF, but how that
didn't exactly work out b/c we couldn't find the right incentive model; I
teach about Facebook which found the right incentive model, but whose
search is great, within the walls of Facebook of course.

SEO is an extremely difficult problem, couched in Information Retrieval
Research/theory. Most advances are wholly incremental or point solutions
that aren't widespread as of yet.  Most of that has to do with the search
engine companies guarding their intimate optimizations and ranking secrets
very closely.

That said, developing a web-scale, science-worthy alternative that people
actually use has an is an active area of my own research...and something I
think that's tenable, incrementally.

Cheers,
Chris