[Esip-discovery] time for new challenges?

Lynnes, Christopher S. (GSFC-6102) christopher.s.lynnes at nasa.gov
Wed Dec 19 13:41:31 EST 2012

On Dec 19, 2012, at 12:13 PM, jeff mcwhirter wrote:

> On 12/19/12 9:52 AM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:
>>
>> SEO is an extremely difficult problem, couched in Information Retrieval
>> Research/theory. Most advances are wholly incremental or point solutions
>> that aren't widespread as of yet.  Most of that has to do with the search
>> engine companies guarding their intimate optimizations and ranking secrets
>> very closely.
>>

> I don't think it is really an issue of traditional search engine
> optimization but rather that there often isn't a crawable site.  It
> seems like most repositories are search oriented and what pages are
> there don't have much in the way of text corpus to index.   If the pages
> and the text aren't there Google isn't going to index it.
>
> -Jeff

Yes, this is a problem, esp. as we go to more AJAX-populated content to provide a better UX for the users.

Another issue is that general-purpose portals/applications have difficulty "competing" with more specialized sites. "Rainfall" may show up once in a description for a general purpose application, but a weather site, for example, is all "rainfall" this and "rainfall" that.
--
Dr. Christopher Lynnes     NASA/GSFC, Code 610.2    phone: 301-614-5185
"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away" -- A. de Saint-Exupery