[Esip-discovery] proposed mods for collection-level responses

Mattmann, Chris A (388J) chris.a.mattmann at jpl.nasa.gov
Sat Feb 9 13:07:52 EST 2013

Hey Chris,

On 2/9/13 5:43 AM, "Lynnes, Christopher S. (GSFC-6102)"
<christopher.s.lynnes at nasa.gov> wrote:

>On Feb 8, 2013, at 5:35 PM, "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)"
><chris.a.mattmann at jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
>
>> +1 this sounds good to me. Though, keeping consistent with IANA,
>>wouldn't
>> it be:
>>
>> application/x-html-opendap-directory
>> application/x-xml-thredds-catalog
>
>Did some more research on this, and apparently, the whole x- scheme is
>deprecated since at least 2005:  http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4288.

Yeah seems conflicting in a way (as most RFCs do sometimes ;) ) with this
one:

http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6838.txt (see 3.4 and Appendix A)

Which I found here:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types

>According to this, we should be using a vnd.<producer>.subtype, so
>perhaps it would be:
>vnd.opendap.directory

Yeah in Apache Tika we use both but since it doesn't seem to be doctrine
that you can't use x- anymore, I still use x a lot, for example we defined
an x-tika namespace wherein which we add types that are specifically
detected by Tika and no other parsers.

>Also, RFC 3023 lays out a policy of using '+xml' suffix for XML-based
>mime-types, so we would have:
>vnd.unidata.thredds+xml
>Pending agreement with Unidata of course.

+1, I like the +xml, like application/rss+xml

>We could actually submit these for registration to IANA:
>http://www.iana.org/cgi-bin/mediatypes.pl

Yep we should consider doing that, since then downstream libraries like
Tika will be more encouraged to automatically detect them and deal with
them.

Cheers,
Chris