[Esip-discovery] proposed mods for collection-level responses

Lynnes, Christopher S. (GSFC-6102) christopher.s.lynnes at nasa.gov
Sat Feb 9 08:43:07 EST 2013

On Feb 8, 2013, at 5:35 PM, "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <chris.a.mattmann at jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:

> +1 this sounds good to me. Though, keeping consistent with IANA, wouldn't
> it be:
>
> application/x-html-opendap-directory
> application/x-xml-thredds-catalog

Did some more research on this, and apparently, the whole x- scheme is deprecated since at least 2005:  http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4288.

According to this, we should be using a vnd.<producer>.subtype, so perhaps it would be:
vnd.opendap.directory

Also, RFC 3023 lays out a policy of using '+xml' suffix for XML-based mime-types, so we would have:
vnd.unidata.thredds+xml
Pending agreement with Unidata of course.

We could actually submit these for registration to IANA: http://www.iana.org/cgi-bin/mediatypes.pl

> Or in general:
>
> <primary type [1 of 8]>/[extension denoted by x-]<sub
> type>[-protocol][-ESIP Open Search type]
>
> Or did I guess it wrong?
>
> Cheers,
> Chris
>
> On 2/8/13 2:24 PM, "Lynnes, Christopher S. (GSFC-6102)"
> <christopher.s.lynnes at nasa.gov> wrote:
>
>> As I was working with Ruth on a collection casting example, we ran across
>> an area that we have not fully specified, namely how to identify links
>> that access data collections that are NOT simply URLs for OpenSearches.
>> These access points may be single-file datasets, OPeNDAP, THREDDS, FTP
>> directories, databases, order forms, dataset landing pages with links to
>> access points...
>>
>> OTOH, we would like to keep the scheme congruent with a granule level
>> response as much as possible.  So I propose the following
>> Collection Access Point	rel		type
>> =======================	===============	==================================
>> ==
>> FTP Directory tree	archives	application/x-ftp-directory
>> OPeNDAP Directory Tree	archives	application/x-opendap-directory+html
>> (would also include xlink:arcrole=#dir)
>> THREDDS Catalog		archives	application/x-thredds-catalog+xml (would also
>> include xlink:arcrole=#thredds)
>> Single-file dataset	enclosure	<depends on data format>
>> Order form		archives	text/html
>> Dataset landing page	archives	text/html
>>
>> Comments?
>> --
>> Dr. Christopher Lynnes     NASA/GSFC, Code 610.2    phone: 301-614-5185
>> "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when
>> there is nothing left to take away" -- A. de Saint-Exupery

Dr. Christopher Lynnes, NASA/GSFC, ph: 301-614-5185