[Esip-documentation] some open questions re ACDD & THREDDS

Signell, Richard via Esip-documentation esip-documentation at lists.esipfed.org
Wed Oct 1 18:25:23 EDT 2014

It looks like this is a Unidata idea to allow for other vocabularies
than the CF standard_name list:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/thredds/current/netcdf-java/formats/DataDiscoveryAttConvention.html#standard_name_vocabulary_Attribute

On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 1:55 PM, John Graybeal via Esip-documentation
<esip-documentation at lists.esipfed.org> wrote:
> A question was posed on the Active Issues page that I haven't seen an answer
> to:
>
> What is THREDDS 'variable mapping'?
>
> In the variable attributes, we say things like
>
> If a "standard_name" attribute is not given (and a
> "standard_name_vocabulary" is given), the "long_name" attribute value will
> be used by THREDDS as the variable's name in the variable mapping.
>

> I don't know what this last part means exactly -- can someone help?
>
> Derrick Snowden wrote some time ago that he'd like to see the reference to
> external applications minimized or eliminated in ACDD. Aside from
> cdm_data_type, which is explicitly tied to THREDDS, the 3 variable
> attributes have this kind of 'what THREDDS does' reference. Do we need it?

Dr. Richard P. Signell   (508) 457-2229
USGS, 384 Woods Hole Rd.
Woods Hole, MA 02543-1598