[Esip-documentation] some open questions re ACDD & THREDDS

John Graybeal via Esip-documentation esip-documentation at lists.esipfed.org
Wed Oct 1 13:55:48 EDT 2014

A question was posed on the Active Issues page that I haven't seen an answer to:

What is THREDDS 'variable mapping'?

In the variable attributes, we say things like
> If a "standard_name" attribute is not given (and a "standard_name_vocabulary" is given), the "long_name" attribute value will be used by THREDDS as the variable's name in the variable mapping.

I don't know what this last part means exactly -- can someone help?

Derrick Snowden wrote some time ago that he'd like to see the reference to external applications minimized or eliminated in ACDD. Aside from cdm_data_type, which is explicitly tied to THREDDS, the 3 variable attributes have this kind of 'what THREDDS does' reference. Do we need it?