[Esip-documentation] ACDD date attributes question

John Graybeal via Esip-documentation esip-documentation at lists.esipfed.org
Sun Oct 5 20:41:44 EDT 2014

Jim, thanks for introducing these use case questions, very helpful now with the context of some responses.

I really appreciate seeing the ISO DateTypeCodes, Ted. Can you provide definitions for each of the DateTypeCodes? I find the names difficult to distinguish (revision, lastUpdate, lastRevision; creation, inForce, validityBegins; publication, distribution). I'm hoping there are some meaningful definitions that help flesh out Jim's 'uses' collection.

The other axis along which we have a similar 'type' challenge is the 'what' axis. Nan, Jim, and Bob have all suggested different entities worthy of timestamps; sometimes the differences are nuanced and sometimes pretty big. FWIIW, to me the most critical entity is 'whole file/product', followed by 'values/data', followed (much further back) by 'attributes/metadata'. I want the terms to apply to both file and product; and I don't want to get down to the size of a 'granule value' or up to the size of a'collection' (Jim's definitions).

I'm not excited about trying to invent a solution that mimics ISO, partly because it is too different from existing ACDD, and partly because I'm looking forward to Ted more comprehensive solution. So my bias for 1.3 is for sticking with a bare minimal list of attribute names (because that's most likely to get approval); if that's just whole file/product, I can live with that.

Finally, I may regret opening this can of worms, but as a backup for those of us who want to report more detail: It seems to me we could offer cookie cutter guidance -- if we provide a list of entity names (a) and a list of DateTypeCodes (b), at least the latter from ISO, people could make up their own attribute name as a_b, but we don't have to list all the names ourselves. And obviously, they don't have to use those names; it is auxiliary guidance (just like the Suggested attributes). If we can agree on list (a) and use the ISO codes for list (b), this bit of guidance would be easy to write, easy to follow, and easy to translate results into ISO metadata (and OCDD).

John