[Esip-documentation] ACDD date attributes question

Ge Peng - NOAA Affiliate via Esip-documentation esip-documentation at lists.esipfed.org
Mon Oct 6 08:50:13 EDT 2014

John,

See the ISO codelist from this link:
https://geo-ide.noaa.gov/wiki/index.php?title=ISO_19115_and_19115-2_CodeList_Dictionaries

including CI_DateTypeCode and CI_RoleCode

--- Peng

On Sun, Oct 5, 2014 at 8:41 PM, John Graybeal via Esip-documentation <
esip-documentation at lists.esipfed.org> wrote:

> [...]
> be easily modified by a community).
>
>  The problem with the attribute implementation of ACDD is that the types
> are part of the attribute names and, because the attribute names are THE
> STANDARD, the types become part of the standard. This makes it very hard to
> agree on a standard, and, more insidious, it makes it very difficult for
> communities other than the one that created the standard (agreed on a set
> of names) to use it. This is why ACDD, in its current form, is so limited
> and inherently stove-piped.
>
>  These problems are described in a bit of detail at
> http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/NetCDF,_HDF,_and_ISO_Metadata and they
> are addressed in the OCDD which is really a discovery recommendation for
> ISO implemented in HDF (and NcML). I have some test implementations of this
> in hand and will be writing them up next week...
>
>  Ted
>
>  <MetadataLifeCycle.png>
>

>  On Oct 3, 2014, at 12:06 PM, Jim Biard via Esip-documentation <
> esip-documentation at lists.esipfed.org> wrote:
>
>  Hi.
>
> I was wondering if it would be useful to back the whole date attribute
> question up a bit.
>
> Without using any existing or proposed attribute name, can each
> stakeholder describe what kinds of date stamps they need and want?
>
> When describing these date stamps, I see three different entities (sort
> of) that they might relate to - and there are probably more. The ones that
> I see are:
>
>    - Granule - An atom of data that is bounded in space and/or time. One
>    granule can include multiple variables, and has variable- and granule-level
>    metadata. A granule *is not* a netCDF file. It is data and metadata
>    floating free in "the cloud".
>    - Collection - A group of granules that are treated as a consistent
>    whole. A collection may be static, or it may grow over time. As with a
>    granule, a collection is a conceptual object in "the cloud".
>    - Granule Instance - A granule expressed as one or more netCDF files.
>

> Using these terms, here are date stamps that I find useful/needed. Most
> all of these should have accompanying annotations in history metadata.
>

>    - Date a granule's data was first produced/acquired. This can get
>    tricky for a granule consisting of a long time series.
>    - Date a granule's metadata was first associated with the data.
>    - Date a granule's data was last modified.
>    - Date a granule's metadata was last modified.
>    - Date a granule instance was created.
>    - Date a granule instance was last modified.
>    - Date a collection was established. (I say it this way on account of
>    growing collections.) I guess this amounts to a version/edition time stamp.
>

> There are other entities and date stamps that I have left out because I
> didn't see them as being relevant to a particular granule instance in a
> netCDF file.
>
> Do these make sense? Are there others that you can think of?

*Ge Peng, Ph.D*
ge.peng at noaa.gov
o: +1 828 257 3009
f:  +1 828 257 3002