[Esip-documentation] Geospatial Bounds

John Graybeal via Esip-documentation esip-documentation at lists.esipfed.org
Wed Oct 8 15:03:51 EDT 2014

> Useless? How so?

The default CRS is based on vertical location relative to the geoid, which says nothing about where the observation was made relative to the surface of the ocean or land. So searches can't find all the wind data between 3 and 10 meters above the surface, or all the oxygen measurements between 1 and 10 meters below the surface.

The arguments against this request make it seem like users everywhere will be throwing in thousands of CRSs into these two attributes. But really, there will not be that many, and very few (<5 I bet) that are commonly used. Data providers will know that attributes based on odd-ball CRSs will mean their data won't get indexed/searched by some systems -- we can make that point explicitly in the definition. And I bet everyone who can will just use the default. So it isn't like you're losing any interoperability by offering this feature, and it isn't obligating anyone to support the non-default CRS either.

John