[Esip-documentation] ACDD meeting: time and agenda

Nan Galbraith via Esip-documentation esip-documentation at lists.esipfed.org
Wed Dec 10 12:29:15 EST 2014

Hi all -

Sorry I won't be able to make the meeting, I'm having a little shoulder
repair surgery tomorrow.

One thing I'd like to add, that I don't think we've discussed is some kind
of guidance for anyone who might update the 'metrics' for v1.3.

There are clearly attributes on this list that do not apply to some
kinds of
data - for example, there is no 'product_version' for in situ observational
data.  Can we break up the 'suggested' attributes into ones that we think
should be included in most data sets vs ones that are 'suggested if
applicable' - with the latter being omitted from any metrics that might be
used to 'grade' data sets?

Second, we still have a circular definition of 'publisher' terms.

IMHO, the publisher is often NOT the person who runs a data server,
unless that person also takes responsibility for the contents and format
of the dataset. In some cases, the server is more like a store, with
various
publications (of varying quality, in different formats) on shelves. And, any
given NetCDF dataset may be on many servers - do they each claim to be
the publisher?

The person who formats the thing, and makes it available to the servers,
and is responsible for the contents, is the publisher,  for OceanSITES,
anyway. This is the way we've got to use this term, so I'd love to find
a definition that allows it to be used, meaningfully, in different
scenarios.

We discussed this in November, in the thread 'ACDD meeting #3 results,
topics for tomorrow.'  Although I did not get anyone to agree with me on
who the publisher should be, we also didn't come up with an alternate
term for the definition. Nor did we answer the problem:
/a)  the identity of the person who runs the archive or portal may not be //
//known when the file is written//./

Last, I hope there will be some time for editing afterward, if only for
style
and readability, since it's so hard to produce good text on a webex.

Cheers -
Nan

On 12/10/14 2:06 AM, John Graybeal via Esip-documentation wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Based on the Doodle poll, all respondents can make Thursday at 4 PM
> Eastern, 1 PM Pacific.  Erin will set up the call soon, and we will
> provide that information in separate email.  Thank you all for your
> patient Doodling.
>
> You can see the proposed changes in version 1.3.5 of the document at
> http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Attribute_Convention_for_Data_Discovery_1-3
>
> The agenda so far is:
>
> 1) Section: Alignment with NetCDF and CF Conventions  (rewrite for
> clarity)
> 2) Section: Maintenance of Metadata     (rewrite for clarity)
> 3) Section: Comma-Separated Lists      (minor edits for clarity)
> 4) Attribute: standard_name_vocabulary
>     * Default outcome is no change, unless someone requests a vote
>     * Doodle poll of preferences is at http://doodle.com/9erdnp4ma74aa7ew
>     * See my summary within Topic 1 and Appendix of this post
> <http://www.lists.esipfed.org/pipermail/esip-documentation/2014/000454.html>
> 5) Attribute: product_version         (modified proposal is in the
> document)
>     * software_version has been withdrawn
> 6) Attribute: cdm_data_type          (proposal is in the document)
>     * see proposal, summary, and references
> <http://www.lists.esipfed.org/pipermail/esip-documentation/2014/000466.html> email
> <http://www.lists.esipfed.org/pipermail/esip-documentation/2014/000466.html> [3]
> 7) Final comments and wrap-up
>
> I encourage comments to the list if they will help resolve any of
> these topics. At this point, I suggest any new topics should represent
> significant issues or opportunities.
>
> John
>
> References
>
> [1] Lastest ACDD document:
> http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Attribute_Convention_for_Data_Discovery_1-3
> [2] standard_name_vocabulary summary:
> http://www.lists.esipfed.org/pipermail/esip-documentation/2014/000454.html
> [3] cdm_data_type proposal/summary:
> http://www.lists.esipfed.org/pipermail/esip-documentation/2014/000466.html

* Nan Galbraith                        (508) 289-2444 *
* Upper Ocean Processes Group            Mail Stop 29 *
* Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution                *
* Woods Hole, MA 02543                                *