[Esip-documentation] ACDD convention

Carlo Lacagnina carlo.lacagnina at bsc.es
Wed May 12 10:03:45 EDT 2021

Dear ESIP Documentation Cluster mailing list,

I work in a service contract supporting the European Union Copernicus
Climate Change Service (C3S). In this service, we are starting to check
the ACDD convention 1.3. However, we have some questions about it, could
you help me?

In particular, it seems that the convention does not specify whether
data is compliant with ACDD, but rather whether the metadata attributes
are following "highly recommended", "recommended" or "suggested"
specifications. Is the interpretation correct? In that case, does it
make sense to map these 3 levels into "not compliant: error",
"compliant: severe warning", "compliant: warning or ok" ?

I understand that the answer might depend on the application, the aim
for us is to identify which file is compliant with the ACDD convention.
Would the mapping above make sense or would you suggest a different
mapping? Thank you very much for your help.

Kind regards,

Carlo

--
Carlo Lacagnina