[Esip-documentation] ACDD convention

John Graybeal jbgraybeal at sonic.net
Wed May 12 11:21:56 EDT 2021

Carlo,

Thanks for looking into ACDD!

As I recall, when we were discussing these categories, there were some individual who felt that making any of these attributes 'required' was either not consistent with it being a guideline, or not appropriate because we can't know for sure that every situation would mandate any given attribute. In either case, it's fair to say we did not build a recommendation that itself allows for declaring compliance or non-compliance; that requires additional declarations.

I think there is not a single mapping that applies to every case. Rather, you should take every attribute and determine whether it applies for your service (or the data set descriptions being checked by your service). The rubrik for performing this check could be:

- highly recommended: Is there any reason we should not require this attribute? If we don't require it, should it generate a warning, and what kind?
- recommended: Is it possible we should require this attribute? If not, what kind of message should it generate, if any?  (In some cases a severe warning may be appropriate for your use cases; most missing attributes could only call for a warning or even a simple notification, because their absence is not necessarily a problem at all.)
- suggested:  If this attribute is not present, do we consider it an issue worth noting? If so, is it a warning or just a notation?

Reasons you might not want to require or warn on an attribute include: the providers may not have been told it was required or important; the attribute may be irrelevant for some collections; the attribute may be impossible to obtain; or the attribute isn't a big deal for your context (community, data types, etc.).

On the other hand, if for your data sets the attributes seem critically valuable—and for data sets archived for considerable re-use, societal benefit, and long periods of time, I think a large number of them are pretty important—you could declare many more of them required, or "required if meaningful". As long as the providers know in advance, I think that would not be misusing the guidance—if we included an attribute, we thought it had value.

John