[Esip-drone] Presentation on UAS/Drone data management at the USGS

Hsu, Leslie lhsu at usgs.gov
Fri Jun 3 18:11:05 EDT 2016

Dear esip-drone list,

Hello, I joined this group a couple months ago but unfortunately I had
conflicts with the recent telecons. I look forward to joining one in the
near future and meeting some of you.

Next week there will be a webinar on "USGS Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS)
Data Management Opportunities and Challenges" during the monthly USGS
Community for Data Integration (CDI) meeting. This talk will report on the
outcomes of a CDI-funded project.

Meeting info:
https://my.usgs.gov/confluence/display/cdi/CDI+Monthly+Meeting+20160608

June 8, Wednesday, 11:00am Eastern

Abstract: As Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) technologies advance, so do the
sensors they carry. This results in hundreds or even thousands of gigabytes
of data in a single flight. Where do these data go, who can access them,
and does it adhere to standards? These and similar questions are ones that
need to be addressed with the increasing use UAS technologies. This project
developed mechanisms and protocols to make such data available to the
public and government agencies on a streamlined, structured, and managed
way. As the USGS, and other government agencies, conduct more UAS missions,
we need to address how we conduct data management activities associated
with data acquired by UA.

***

If useful to you, I hope you can attend and join in the conversation. It
would be great to connect with other agencies and organizations to see
where our similarities and differences are on this topic.

Your email list archive has a bunch of great information that I will share
with the CDI community.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best wishes,
Leslie

Leslie Hsu
Community for Data Integration (CDI) Coordinator
CDI web <http://www.usgs.gov/cdi/> | blog
<https://my.usgs.gov/confluence/x/gKFtI> | wiki
<https://my.usgs.gov/confluence/display/cdi/Home> | twitter
<https://twitter.com/usgs_cdi>