[Esip-drone] Draft drone data sharing guidelines for earth and environmental science.

Jane Wyngaard jwyngaar at nd.edu
Thu Jul 26 11:16:18 EDT 2018

Hi drone cluster,

We [1] are drafting *data sharing guidelines for earth and environmental
data collected with drones*, and we need *your help*.  If you use drones
for scientific data collection at all please take 10-15 minutes to review
and provide feedback on our proposed* minimum information framework* in
this *survey* <http://bit.ly/droneDataSurvey>.
http://bit.ly/droneDataSurvey

*More Context:*
Over the last few years you probably know we have run workshops, developed
case studies, and talked to many of you to get a sense of what kind of data
needs to be published to make drone data FAIR [2]. As part of an ESIP
incubator project, we've summarised the results of this work into a Minimum
Information Framework: a list of the key data and metadata elements that
would make drone datasets FAIR (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable,
Reusable)[2].

We're now asking one more time for your feedback to help us refine this
framework! What terms are we missing? What terms aren't necessary?

Please vote on the importance of the terms in our framework, and suggest
additional terms that we may have overlooked. Many of these terms appear in
existing ontologies or standards; after the results of the survey are in,
we will link our community-developed set of terms to these existing
standards.

[1] Andrea Thomer, Jane Wyngaard, Lindsay Barbieri - a team of information
scientists and earth scientists working with the ESIP Drone Cluster and RDA
sUAS Data Interest Group: https://osf.io/n6t9b/

[2]  The fair guiding principles for scientific data management and
stewardship <https://www.nature.com/articles/sdata201618>

Many thanks,

Jane, Lindsay, Andrea
Jane Wyngaard, PhD