[Esip-drone] Fwd: On Drones and Socio-Technical thinking. Interview with Gordon Hoople and Austin Choi-Fitzpatrick

Parsons, Mark parsom3 at rpi.edu
Mon Apr 27 12:27:58 EDT 2020

I suspect folks in this group may be interested in this interview.

cheers,

-m.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Editor ODBMS.ORG<http://ODBMS.ORG> <editor at zicari.de<mailto:editor at zicari.de>>
Subject: On Drones and Socio-Technical thinking. Interview with Gordon Hoople and Austin Choi-Fitzpatrick
Date: 23 April 2020 at 08:02:50 MDT
To: <parsom3 at rpi.edu<mailto:parsom3 at rpi.edu>>

Dear Mark,

I hope you are well.

I heard that Gordon Hoople and Austin Choi-Fitzpatrick - both professors at the at the University of San Diego-  together wrote a book about drones and socio technical thinking in the classroom.

I was intrigued to learn why a social scientist decided to collaborate with an engineer, and an engineer with a sociologist.

“As we developed the class, and later wrote a book together, we realized how much engineering wrestles with social issues (whether it recognizes this or not) and how much social change efforts are supporting or resisting changes that engineers dreamed up in the first place.” –Austin Choi-Fitzpatrick

In the interview, we talked about Socio technical education, the mission of The Good Drone Lab, their book “Drones for Good: How to Bring Socio technical Thinking into the Classroom”, and how to engage students in challenging conversations at the intersection of technology and society.

You can read the full text of the interview at the ODBMS Industry Watch: http://www.odbms.org/blog/

Stay safe!
Roberto
Prof. Roberto V. Zicari
Editor
ODBMS.ORG<http://ODBMS.ORG>—The Resource Portal for AI, Big Data, New Data Management Technologies and Data Science.
http://www.odbms.org
##

If you prefer not to receive future e-mails about interviews from ODBMS Industry Watch, please reply back with "Remove Me" in the subject line.