[Esip-envirosensing] Sensor best practices workshop, April 2-4, Albuquerque

Henshaw, Don don.henshaw at oregonstate.edu
Tue Mar 5 18:01:46 EST 2013

Hi ESIP EnviroSensing list members,

The Long-Term Ecological Research (LTER) program has funded a workshop to develop a best practices document on managing sensor networks and data. I am hoping to assemble a working group of LTER information managers with representatives from other groups (9-10 participants) with experience in sensor networks, and plan to convene a workshop in Albuquerque the week of April 1st (2.5 days from April 2-4). The funded workshop proposal is attached.

We still have openings and funding to bring 2-3 additional participants to Albuquerque. If anyone of you would be available and interested in attending, I can support your travel, lodging, etc. We expect this to be a working meeting but will also be a learning experience and will allow sharing of your knowledge of sensor management (you don't need to be an expert, simply a willing participant).

This work builds on recommendations from the LTER/NERC SensorNIS workshop at Hubbard Brook in Oct 2011 and the LTER Sensor Resource Guide workshop at the LTER ASM in Estes Park, Sep 2012. The work will be posted in the EnviroSensing Cluster with the ESIP Federation and our current outline is here: http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/EnviroSensing_Cluster.

Specifically, our workshop is intended to build a general best practice document for sensor management and make recommendations in the following areas:
*       How to archive large data streams most efficiently into  the LTER NIS or other data repositories considering frequency, quality level, and accessibility
*       What are common QA/QC procedures that should be applied to the data, and how should they be identified within the data.
*       How should sensor life cycle events, events that impact the data stream, be documented
*       How and where should these sensor events and other relevant field information be stored to be most visible and accessible to data users
*       What software systems are available for general management and QA/QC
If you are interested, please contact me, Don Henshaw, by March 12th.
Thanks for your consideration,
Don

Don Henshaw
Andrews Forest LTER Information Manager
U.S. Forest Service Pacific Northwest Research Station
Forestry Sciences Laboratory
3200 SW Jefferson Way
Corvallis, OR 97331

don.henshaw at oregonstate.edu<mailto:don.henshaw at oregonstate.edu>