[Esip-envirosensing] Bear deterrence methods for sensor stations

John Anderson janderso at jornada-vmail.nmsu.edu
Tue Mar 29 16:10:42 EDT 2016

Brian,

I haven't dealt with this problem, but here are a couple low cost
thoughts. Increase installation height with a larger diameter mast to
move the enclosure and solar panel well above shoulder height of a bear.
Perhaps a mast height of 3-meters(?) with enclosure and solar panel not
far below the air temp sensor at the top, assuming you're comfortable
with potential wind load. Camouflage paint what you can, such as the
white enclosure, mast, and mounts (not the solar shield, of course) to
make it less obvious and less attractive to an investigative bear. If a
bear is likely to pull at parallel runs of cable on the mast, run the
cables through the main mast being sure to protect the entry and exit
ports to prevent abrasion, which will occur otherwise; e.g., rubber
grommet. Have the exit port belowground at the depth the cables will be
buried so none are visually exposed. Make the cables' entry point into
the mast slightly lower than the exit point from the enclosure bottom to
prevent water from running down the cable to the enclosure; or be sure
the cable run has a point lower than the enclosure bottom.

My thought is if the bear has only a smooth metal pole to interact
with, the roughness of a tree is going to be more attractive to mark or
rub on. I would expect objects that blend more into the environment to
attract and invite less destructive behavior. Even if a bear could reach
the enclosure when standing upright, it seems it would be less likely or
unlikely to occur, though my knowledge in this arena is pretty bare.

It may be worthwhile to check with someone in your university's
wildlife department, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Department, or the
Georgia Department of Natural Resources' Wildlife Resources Division for
guidance on a reasonable height for the enclosure as long as it isn't
used for an emergency food cache to hold a Snickers Bar.  ;-)

Cheers,

John

John Anderson
Jornada LTER