[Esip-envirosensing] Fwd: [ECOLOG-L] LoRa or hardwires field sensors?

Jane Wyngaard jwyngaar at nd.edu
Fri Feb 14 12:08:23 EST 2020

Hi Zach

I was able to attend The Things Conference 2weeks ago and my takeaway was
industry is rapidly adopting LoRa and in the short 3 years I've been
watching it has matured and become a stable platform that's not going
away.  But that's only true in the commercial sector it seems so far. Have
a look at The Things Conference youtube channel
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv85CXnZUXEKnlZpQapTAwQ/videos>.  They're
still uploading the keynotes from the last conference but some highlights
you can now get daily satellite uplink for ~$30/month, AWS IoT services
integrate with TheThingsNetwork stack for device management, and there are
just too many urban environmental sensor companies using LoRa to name now
(target is usually office buildings/hotels/etc).  Big names like Microchip
and STM offer factory deployed encryption solutions, or at the hacker end
there are a dozen Pi/Arduino/similar kits.   But that is much less true in
academic enviro sensing.

Personally I see huge potential for it as exactly as you suggest: you can
multiply the number of sensors you deploy by at least a couple factors.
The caveat here is the gain is very low cost and long term wireless
coverage over using more expensive and shorter lasting wired solutions, but
there's no cost saving in the sensor which is often the highest cost
anyways, and it doesn't seem like the big Science-Environsening names are
adopting LoRa yet so I don't think eg you can get a Cambell LoRa CO2 sensor
so You'll have to do your own integration - maybe with an Arduino hat for
instance.

Some of the limited examples in enviro-sensing I've seen:
- An Internet of Things (IoT) Application on Volcano Monitoring
<https://www.mdpi.com/1424-8220/19/21/4651>
- LoRaWAN for Smart City IoT Deployments: A Long Term Evaluation
<https://www.mdpi.com/1424-8220/20/3/648>
- A Platform of Unmanned Surface Vehicle Swarms for Real Time Monitoring in
Aquaculture Environments <https://www.mdpi.com/1424-8220/19/21/4695>

If you're interested in a partner for pioneering some stuff I'm in! :)  But
ja, not off the shelf for Science work yet

jane