[Esip-envirosensing] Fwd: Nov 3 Cluster Call - Dr. Matheus Carvalho on "Open-source hardware for science"

Renee F. Brown rfbrown at unm.edu
Tue Nov 3 11:23:06 EST 2020

A friendly reminder of our guest presentation happening today. See you soon!

Begin forwarded message:

Dear EnviroSensors,

We will host our next regularly scheduled monthly Cluster teleconference on Tuesday, November 3rd at 14:00 PST / 17:00 EST (Tuesday, November 3rd at 22:00 UTC; Wednesday, November 4th at 09:00 AEDT).

This month we are pleased to welcome Dr. Matheus Carvalho, who will present on "Open-source hardware for science - a personal perspective.” Matheus’ presentation will focus on his learning trajectory in open-source hardware using examples from his own work developing DIY robotic autosamplers, and how he expects this work can help scientists.

Matheus is a Senior Research Associate at Southern Cross University, Australia, where his primary role is managing a stable isotope laboratory. He has been in this job for over 11 years, and for the last 7 years or so, has become interested in laboratory automation, in particular, the application of open-source hardware. He has published several papers on the topic, in particular, papers describing DIY autosamplers in the journal HardwareX, and also the book Practical Laboratory Automation Made Easy with AutoIt. He is on the editorial board for both HardwareX and PlosOne.

You can more about Matheus’ work on his website: https://www.scu.edu.au/centre-for-coastal-biogeochemistry/people/dr-matheus-carvalho-de-carvalho/, and download his most recent paper on the portable open-source auto-sampler for streams, rivers, and small lakes he has developed here: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/344307174_Portable_open-source_autosampler_for_shallow_waters.

Meeting Agenda:
- Welcome & Introductions - 10 min
- Cluster Business - EnviroSensing at AGU, ESIP Winter Meeting - 5 min
- Guest Presentation by Dr. Matheus Carvalho: Open-source hardware for science - a personal perspective

Connection Info:
To join, go to http<https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/895837693>s://global.gotomeeting.com/join/895837693<https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/895837693>
You can also dial in using your phone: 646-749-3122; access code 895-837-693

We look forward to seeing many of you next week!

Renée & Scotty