[Esip-esda] ESDA Session Tomorrow 2pm: ArcGIS, Data to Motivate Synthesis, Data Cubes!

Lindsay Barbieri lkbar at uvm.edu
Mon Jan 8 19:55:38 EST 2018

Hello ESDA Cluster,

I hope everyone had safe travels to DC if you are here for the ESIP Winter
Meeting. Our Cluster Session is *Tuesday (tomorrow) 2pm in Salon E. *

We have a great lineup of speakers to discuss work involving data analytics
in earth science and social-environmental systems, and the process of
turning data into knowledge - from ArcGIS to Data to Motivate Synthesis to
Data Cubes. Please take a look at the agenda below for more information.

As time allows, we also hope to discuss an ESDA Summer ESIP session on
“Open Data Analytics” - bringing interoperability to data analytics, and
interoperability of data analytics platforms across organizations that
serve data.

all the best,
Lindsay Barbieri (Bar)

*ESDA: From Data to Knowledge*
*Session Agenda for Tuesday, Jan 9th 2-3:30pm*

*2:00 - Brief Introduction: *Barbieri

*2:05-2:25 - Tripp Corbett and Sudhir Shrestha: **From Scientific Earth
Science Data to Actionable Information*

Working with earth science data to extract information sometimes can be
challenging due to its diversity and complexity. In this session, we will
demonstrate real world examples of successful application of open earth
science data in ArcGIS platform. We will share briefly the workflow of
scientific data management (ingesting, managing, analyzing and sharing) and
how you can quickly spin up the web applications to share your information
products including analytics to larger community. We will share few use
cases, such as NOAA High Resolution Refresh Radar (HRRR), Sentinel data and
other webmap applications, that demonstrate how we access large collections
of near real-time data that are stored on-premise or on the cloud,
disseminate them dynamically, process and analyze them on-the-fly, and
serve them to a variety of geospatial applications.

*2:25-2:45 - Kristal Jones: Data to Motivate Synthesis: Cyberinfrastructure
and facilitated process to motivate data-drive interdisciplinary
socio-environmental synthesis*

The complex questions addressed by socio-environmental synthesis research
often require interdisciplinary teams of researchers and practitioners to
work together to define system boundaries, and identify appropriate
measures of drivers and outcomes of system dynamics. Synthesis research
also requires teams to draw on existing data to ask new inter- and
trans-disciplinary questions that span systems and scales. At the National
Socio-Environmental Synthesis Center (SESYNC), we have developed innovative
cyberinfrastructure and an associated facilitated process to build capacity
and catalyze new data-driven socio-environmental synthesis research within
the food-energy- water nexus. The digital tools include multiple approaches
to searching and visualizing both empirical and conceptual (via a data
ontology) metadata, and the facilitated process supports research teams to
identify empirical and conceptual points of overlap that can provide an
analytical starting point. Our hypothesis is that flipping the research
conceptualization process, and moving from data exploration to question
formulation, will generate innovative and realistic research questions and
proposals focused on complex FEW nexus systems.

*2:50- 3:10 Brian Killough: Open Data Cubes: A Big Data Solution to support
the UN-SDGs*

The Open Data Cube (ODC), proven in Australia, is now available to anyone
in the world for improved use and impact of satellite data. This common
architecture, based on analysis-ready data, can be flexibly deployed on a
local or cloud computer to enable data interoperability and efficient time
series analyses. Dr. Brian Killough of NASA Langley will present the status
of the ODC initiative, examples of application products, and plans for how
it can contribute to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals
(UN-SDG).

*3:15-3:30 - ESDA Discussion, Summer Session: *Barbieri

--
Lindsay Barbieri
PhD Student, Rubenstein School of Environment & Natural Resources