[Esip-infoquality] Action Request - Information Quality Use Cases

Hampapuram Ramapriyan hampapuram.ramapriya at ssaihq.com
Fri Oct 7 14:53:36 EDT 2016

Dear Members of the ESIP Information Cluster,

Thanks to those of you actively participating in meetings and telecons, we have made some significant progress this year in defining use cases and assessing them. The purpose of use cases is to capture the issues related to conveying data quality information to users, given how the data quality is currently being represented in various datasets held at data centers. At a fundamental level, a use case provides a number of vital pieces of information that enable the decision makers to address the needs of a data user through a derivation of one or more recommendations.

We started with a list of 16 use cases we brought in from the Data Quality Working Group, one of NASA's several Earth Science Data System Working Groups. To this set, we added four more use cases during the Winter 2016 ESIP meeting. The full set of use cases can be seen at  <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iI1m_00k1Lc-VYBkICmPksrDSEZcIblVMbMoYpgcVNs/edit#gid=0> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iI1m_00k1Lc-VYBkICmPksrDSEZcIblVMbMoYpgcVNs/edit#gid=0

During the Summer 2016 ESIP Meeting we held a break-out session for assessing the four use cases added by the IQC members. The assessments were performed by four subgroups in the break-out session. The constituents of the subgroups and their assessments are shown in the documents whose links are listed below.

o   Subgroup 1:  <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qX148FUIo5L-1EKepsgsvqGPyOycglo8NTFnuF6FojQ/edit?usp=sharing> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qX148FUIo5L-1EKepsgsvqGPyOycglo8NTFnuF6FojQ/edit?usp=sharing

o   Subgroup 2:  <https://docs.google.com/document/d/13RGiFrZT8YBjAS0Z7kcQw8uE98RnE_qsm640QG3uTxc/edit?usp=sharing> https://docs.google.com/document/d/13RGiFrZT8YBjAS0Z7kcQw8uE98RnE_qsm640QG3uTxc/edit?usp=sharing

o   Subgroup 3:  <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dOzi3g_ZV7OK0foov-tkbA_LhLJe6OH_exVT_zY3KeU/edit?usp=sharing> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dOzi3g_ZV7OK0foov-tkbA_LhLJe6OH_exVT_zY3KeU/edit?usp=sharing

o   Subgroup 4:  <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nAHnBCN_3HitIJZuli7X9f0JEiKQ5iBz7QZzi3bMIQI/edit?usp=sharing> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nAHnBCN_3HitIJZuli7X9f0JEiKQ5iBz7QZzi3bMIQI/edit?usp=sharing

Now, we would like to broaden the assessment of these four use cases by all the members of the IQC. In order to help with the assessments, we have developed a reference guide - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DPAX2F3oyDKwgJHHSLeo4O1aIJ-k5Ghgbc9v3QVseH8/edit?ts=57ad13d3. We invite your comments on the respective subgroups' Google docs and would appreciate any suggestions or additions that you might offer. The names and e-mail addresses of the authors of the use cases are shown at the top of these documents. If you have any questions specific to the use case, please contact them. If you have questions regarding the process in general, please contact one of the co-chairs of the IQC (H. K. "Rama" Ramapriyan, David Moroni, Ge Peng). We would appreciate your inputs to these use case assessments by November 30, 2016.

Thanks.

H. K. "Rama" Ramapriyan (Hampapuram.ramapriyan at ssaihq.com)

David Moroni (David.F.Moroni at jpl.nasa.gov)

Ge Peng (ge.peng at noaa.gov)

H. K. Ramapriyan (Rama)

Science Systems and Applications, Inc.

NASA Goddard Space Flight Center

 <mailto:Hampapuram.Ramapriyan at ssaihq.com> Hampapuram.Ramapriyan at ssaihq.com

(805) 402-7125

(orcid.org/0000-0002-8425-8943)

Note: I am not a government employee and have no legal authority to obligate any federal, state, or local government to perform any action or payment.