[Esip-infoquality] Invited Presentation - March Monthly Telecon

Hampapuram Ramapriyan hampapuram.ramapriya at ssaihq.com
Thu Mar 7 19:48:24 EST 2019

All,

Please mark your calendars for our regular monthly telecon which will be held on March 26, 11:00-12:00 (PDT), a.k.a. 14:00-15:00 (EDT). Dr. Mark Bourassa from Florida State University has kindly agreed to be our invited speaker. The title of his talk is "Calibration and Uncertainty of Scatterometer Winds". A brief abstract of the talk is given below:

Satellite winds are considered to be one of the best calibrated satellite derived geophysical variables. However, there are differences in calibration between retrieval developers, particularly at high wind speeds (U10 > 17 m/s). There are also differences in presentation relative to radiometric winds that cause a great deal of unnecessary confusion between radar and radiometric communities. However the greatest differences in uncertainty are due to different instrument designs. These issues, and comparisons to in situ winds will be discussed.

The agenda for the telecon is at the usual notes page - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1T4wEmY48qpP7cDrbqV7tppkZ3q0GGkJNz_glvu4C2RI/edit.

You will receive another reminder as we get closer to the date of the telecon.

I would also like to remind you to put on your thinking caps about any IQC-relevant session proposals for the Fall AGU Meeting. Proposals are due April 17. Note that we have set up a Google doc at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gKigsQLckUDioh9me-rLdIFVCX4cK-bUSNA7tDgqx7M/edit to gather thoughts on sessions. We will plan on spending a few minutes to talk about them during the March 26 telecon.

Thanks.

Rama.

H. K. Ramapriyan (Rama)

Science Systems and Applications, Inc.

NASA Goddard Space Flight Center

 <mailto:Hampapuram.Ramapriyan at ssaihq.com> Hampapuram.Ramapriyan at ssaihq.com

(805) 402-7125

(orcid.org/0000-0002-8425-8943)

Note: I am not a government employee and have no legal authority to obligate any federal, state, or local government to perform any action or payment.