[Esip-marinedata] Marine Data Cluster - 2019-06-13 & 2019-06-27 - COAPS Ocean Winds Data

Carolina Berys-Gonzalez cberysgonzalez at ucsd.edu
Tue Jun 11 14:47:18 EDT 2019

*Topic: Example uses of ocean surface vector wind observationsTime:
Thursday, 2019-06-13, 10:30 PST (17:30 UTC)*

*Topic*: The COAPS Simplified Daily Scatterometer Swath Product and Tool

*Time: Thursday, 2019-06-27, 10:30 PST (17:30 UTC)*
Hello all,

This month we will have two excellent presentations on ocean winds data,
tools, and data management from Mark Bourassa and our own cluster
chair Jocelyn Elya from COAPS.

Please join us this week 2019-06-13 for the broad introductory topic
"Example uses of ocean surface vector wind observations" from Mark Bourassa:

Ocean surface vector winds are one of the key variables related to the
coupling of the ocean and the atmosphere. Historically winds have been used
to force the ocean, both the upper ocean and the deep ocean. They are also
one of the most impactful variables to assimilate for weather forecasting,
understanding weather phenomena and understand air-sea coupling. Examples
of a variety of observations and applications will be briefly shown.

This presentation will be followed by a closer look at ocean winds data on
2019-06-27, with the presentation from Jocelyn Elya "The COAPS Simplified
Daily Scatterometer Swath Product and Tool":

Ocean winds swath netCDF datasets vary widely in their naming conventions,
data types, parameter and metadata inclusions, and quality flag
conventions, making it difficult for researchers to use these datasets
together in a consistent way. The COAPS Simplified Daily Scatterometer
Swath Dataset aims to solve these problems by creating ocean winds swath
netCDF products in a near-uniform format for select popular ocean winds
datasets. Rationale, product features, user tools, and future improvements
will be discussed.

Hope you can join!

Please also stay tuned for discussion on the Slack channel for the "Marine
Data x ESIP Collaboration Areas" call we will be having on 2019-07-11. This
call will feature lightening presentations from several ESIP groups,
including the Semantic Technologies Committee, the Information Quality
Cluster, the Data Stewardship Committee, and the Information Management
Code Registry Cluster. The purpose of the call is to foster ideas for
collaboration and also familiarity going into the Summer ESIP Meeting.

Slack channel:
https://esip-all.slack.com/messages/CEGSAP1D4

------------------------------------

*Connection Information via GoToMeeting:This group will convene every month
on the second and fourth Thursday10:30 AM Pacific Time, 1:30 PM Eastern
Time, 17:30 UTC*

Marine Data

https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/157892821

You can also dial in using your phone.
United States: +1 (312) 757-3121 <+13127573121,,157892821>

Access Code: 157-892-821

First GoToMeeting? Let's do a quick system check:
https://link.gotomeeting.com/system-check

--
Carolina Berys-Gonzalez
Scripps Institution of Oceanography