[Esip-preserve] Anybody out there yet?

Ramapriyan, Hampapuram K. (GSFC-423.0) Hampapuram.K.Ramapriyan at nasa.gov
Fri Feb 6 13:54:16 EST 2009

I am here as well. There is an NASA Program Requirements document (NPR
1441.1D) that applies.

Excerpts from there:

*          NPR 1441.1 NRRS (NASA Records Retention Schedule):

-         Schedule 2: Legal and Technical Records

*          Agency Filing Scheme # 2420 Item 15 Computer/Electronic
Media. Computer media that contain all the basis and supporting
measurements after they have selected, process and reduce to the final
form that best represent the scientific knowledge obtained form the
investigations

*          Agency Filing Scheme #2430 Item 17 Computer-Media Storage
Facilities.

-         A. Space science flight project/experiment data.  Media which
have been used to create reduced data, or where usable data has been
extracted.  These data typically represent any and all orbiting
spacecraft originated data, including instrument and housekeeping data.
(e.g., UARS)

-         B. Other Scientific Engineering and Experimental Data.
Environmental, oceanographic, atmospheric, terrestrial, data and or
extraterrestrial observations and measurements....

-         Schedule 8: Program Management Records

*          Agency Filing Scheme Item #8/101  Observational data.
Records containing physical sciences observational data created by both
space-and earth-based platforms that are unique and cannot be
extrapolated from other data sets or observations at a reasonable cost.

>         Copies of definitive data sets

>         Instrument operations

>         Copies of processed data and metadata, its analysis...

>         Laboratory notebooks, logbooks, studies and reports

*          When more than one laboratory works on a project the lead
project manager should establish procedures to ensure that all files
relating to the project area collect at a single designated location for
retirement and transfer

*          Requirement is to handle these records as 'permanent' pending
retention approval

-         "provide for permanent retention of substantive and
historically significant records" produced by NASA programs and projects

-         "Records cut off at close of project or in 3 year blocks for
long term projects"

*          Stipulates incremental transfers to "records center storage"

*          "Transfer to National Archives 7 years after cutoff"

>         Transfer to occur in accordance with NARA 36 CFR S 1228.270

>         Provides standard of transfer media, data formats and
documentation

-         "Program/project staff must exercise case-by-case judgment to
ensure that permanent records are identified and retained while other
records are destroyed appropriately"

Dr. H. K. Ramapriyan (Rama)

ESDIS Project, Code 423, NASA GSFC, Greenbelt, MD 20771

(301)614-5356

(301)614-5267 (FAX)