[Esip-preserve] Fwd: Invitation to speak about Workflows and Preservation

Mark A. Parsons parsonsm at nsidc.org
Mon Apr 20 15:06:36 EDT 2009

ESIP Preservationists,

As per our last telecon, I invited Carol Goble to speak on workflows  
at the upcoming Federation meeting. She is unable to attend, but  
offers to send a relevant colleague. See below.

What do y'all think? Should we invite Paolo?


Begin forwarded message:

> From: Carole Goble <carole.goble at manchester.ac.uk>
> Date: 20 April 2009 1:01:06 PM MDT
> To: "Mark A. Parsons" <parsonsm at nsidc.org>
> Cc: carole goble <cag at cs.man.ac.uk>
> Subject: Re: Invitation to speak about Workflows and Preservation
> Mark
> sorry for the late reply - vacation time!
> How interesting.... however, I am attending a funding council  
> meeting that week and I am already committed :-(
> Perhaps I can send a colleague? Dr Paolo Missier is responsible for  
> the data provenance of our workflow system
> Carole
>> Dear Dr. Goble,
>> I am a program manager at the National Snow and Ice Data Center at  
>> the University of Colorado and am leading the overall data  
>> management effort for the large interdisciplinary International  
>> Polar Year. I saw and greatly enjoyed your talk at CODATA last  
>> fall. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to meet you at the meeting, but  
>> I would love to hear more about your work. Along those lines I am  
>> on the program committee for the upcoming meeting of the "Earth  
>> Science Information Partnership" a federation of US agencies and  
>> data management entities collaborating on data stewardship issues.  
>> A major focus of this meeting will be data preservation, especially  
>> issues related to data provenance and context. We wanted to have  
>> someone speak about how workflow technologies fit into and support  
>> this overall theme, and I immediately thought of you.
>> Might you be available to participate in this meeting? It is the  
>> week of 7 July at the University of California Santa Barbara. The  
>> meeting is rather informal with a mix of presentations and working  
>> discussion. The ultimate outcome of the preservation track would be  
>> some sort of white paper providing guidance to US Earth science  
>> agencies (NASA, NOAA, USGS, EPA, NSF) on preservation practices. We  
>> would greatly welcome a short talk from you on your experience with  
>> myexperiment.org and your insights and participation in the  
>> discussion.
>> I realize this is rather out of the blue, and unfortunately we  
>> wouldn't be able to cover your travel (meeting registration would  
>> be waived), but I think you would find it an interesting meeting,  
>> and Santa Barbara is a beautiful location. You can see more of how  
>> our meeting plans are coming together on our wiki at
>> http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Interagency_Data_Stewardship/LifeCycle/Jul2009MeetingPlans
>> Thanks for your consideration, and I look forward to hearing from  
>> you.
>> Best regards,
>> -m.
>> --Mark A. Parsons
>> Manager, International Polar Year Data and Information Service
>> Co-Chair, International Polar Year Data Policy and Management  
>> Subcommittee
>> National Snow and Ice Data Center/World Data Center for Glaciology
>> University of Colorado, 449 UCB, Boulder, Colorado 80309-0449, USA
>> +1-303-492-2359, +1-303-492-2468 (fax)
>> http://nsidc.org, http://ipydis.org

More information about the Esip-preserve mailing list