[Esip-preserve] AGU Position statement on data preservation and a townhall meeting - and IPY Guidelines

Mark A. Parsons parsonsm at nsidc.org
Thu Aug 13 11:51:33 EDT 2009

Very good points, Bruce. Regarding point 1, I would argue that that
issue largely exists for traditional publication citations, too, but
can largely be addressed with appropriate existing conventions, e.g.
DOIs. Point 2 is tricker. Unique, permanent identifiers would help
here as well, but I suspect a greater issue is for the community to
develop consistent practices on versioning.

Without getting into too much technical detail, these could be worthy
topics for discussion. Perhaps, I could introduce the IPY model as a
readily implementable but imperfect approach to prompt discussion.

Cheers,

-m.