[Esip-preserve] Second draft of response to GEO communique

Mark A. Parsons parsonsm at nsidc.org
Thu Sep 24 13:33:48 EDT 2009

Fellow Preservationists,

I am working with an International Council of Science (ICSU--http://icsu.org
) Initiative called the Polar Information Commons (PIC) that could
inform ESIP data sharing principles. (Don't be mislead by the word
"polar". It's just a region. We deal with most any kind of data ESIP
works with plus some).

The concept of an information commons and the principles of open,
linked data in the spirit of the semantic web, the Science Commons,
and other initiatives is gaining momentum and is something ESIP should
be involved with if not leading (many members already are).

I attach two DRAFT documents that y'all might find interesting and
should inform ESIP data sharing principles. Please don't distribute
these very widely. The PIC will have a more coherent and public
message on the web by 15 Oct., at which point will be aggressively
spreading the word. Meanwhile I wanted y'all to know what's happening,
and I eagerly welcome feedback.

Cheers,

-m.