[Esip-preserve] Harmonizing data citation guidelines

Mark A. Parsons parsonsm at nsidc.org
Tue Nov 10 10:49:11 EST 2009

Hi all,

I started reviewing the few data citation guidelines I was aware of
plus the several Bob Cook sent around a while back. Below is a quick
and dirty assessment.

What other guidance is out there? How do they compare to these?

IPY: http://ipydis.org/data/citations.html
      Detailed guidelines on how to construct a citation in the manner
of the Chicago Manual of Style. The idea is to provide all the
elements that any journal might require and to link to the data
unambiguously. It is very much geared toward collections rather than
specific files. It doesn't handle versions particularly well.

ORNL: http://daac.ornl.gov/citation_policy.html
      Doesn't include all the detail of IPY but follows the same basic
principles. More emphasis on the DOI. Includes a link to an nice essay
by Bob providing justification.

NSIDC
Has a similar approach to IPY, but isn't as rigorous about dates used.
We have not yet adopted DOIs. We do not have publicly published
guidelines, but all data sets provide an example and request to cite.

Pangaea: http://www.pangaea.de/about/
      Very much in line with IPY. Strong emphasis on DOI, which leads
them to wait until a data set has reached some level of completeness
before providing a citation. They tend to provide DOIs for fairly
small data sets, which other data centers might compile into a larger
collection. I believethis is an attempt to mediate the versioning
problem.

GBIF: http://www.gbif.org/participation/data-publishers/gbif-sharing-agreement/how-to-cite-gbif-data/white-paper-citation-of-gbif-data/
      Under construction? I thought they used to have something.

NISO:  http://www.niso.org/topics/tl/NISOTLDataReportDraft.pdf
      A good exploration of the issues, but not specific guidelines
(calls for guidelines)

DataVerse:  http://thedata.org/citation
      These folks are gears toward social science, but they have
something going on.  They have something called a universal numerical
fingerprint (UNF) that automatically changes whenever any part of the
data changes. It "is designed to persist even if URLs--or the web
itself--are replaced with something else.". They also have an
automated system to create a citation for a data set, i.e the UNF

TDWIG:  http://www.tdwg.org/standards/150/
      Not a citation approach, per se, but good, detailed guidelines
on the use of unique identifiers--the LSID in this case.

-m.