[Esip-preserve] Citations

Mark A. Parsons parsonsm at nsidc.org
Thu Apr 15 16:46:23 EDT 2010

I don't think there is necessarily a direct connection between Bruce's paradigms and the NSB categories. While there are often parallels, Data sets can evolve through the NSB categories with use. For example the IPA Permafrost Map began as a research collection and then as it was improved and more consistently compiled it became a community collection. Now it is the benchmark of permafrost distribution and is used by multiple disciplines as a reference collection. All the while, it remains in Bruce's category 2.  So while some comparison to the NSB categories is instructive, it isn't exact.

Cheers,

-m.