[Esip-preserve] Stewardship Best Practices

Curt Tilmes Curt.Tilmes at nasa.gov
Wed Oct 6 13:29:43 EDT 2010

On 10/06/10 09:01, Lynnes, Christopher S. (GSFC-6102) wrote:
> You mean the source code here, right?
>
> While I applaud the intent, [...]

These are just recommendations, right?  Things it would be really nice
if people did.

This isn't about what people have done in the past, or what they do
now, but what we would like them to do in the future.

Pointing out that it is hard, (or impossible in some cases) doesn't
really change the fact that it would be nice if they did it.

We can break down people into three sets, the ones (like the ORNL DAAC
model case) that already distribute source and would do so regardless
of the recommendation, the ones (like Bruce/Chris' cases where it is
hard or impossible) who won't distribute source regardless of whether
or not we recommend it, and a third set I am postulating that might
see it as a recommendation and decide to do it vs. not do it.

We have a choice, we can either include it as a recommendation or not.

Regardless of whether or not we include the recommendation, the first
two sets of people are unaffected.  If we don't include the
recommendation, that third set might not distribute source, whereas if
we do recommend it they might, so why not recommend it?

Including it could also help change minds and practices over time, so
that future standards, certifications, or requirements could reference
this (I'm dreaming, right?) and over time more and more groups choose
to do the right thing..

Curt